Sunday 6 February 2011

That Introductory Post

I would have chosen "By Human Power" but I didn't want to distract from the done by human powered groups and I didn't want to talk solely about this subject.

I'm someone competent about getting around on foot, by bicycle and by rowing in part due to a "misspent" childhood where I was brought up by the River Thames by a family with strong ties to the river. In these middle years I've gotten back to each of these activities by patient work, building myself up. In none of these activities do I seek to race or compete beyond seeking an healthy outlet for my energies.

Although an scientist by training, with an honours degree in Computer Science, I still seek to study all things including Comparative Religion. One way that I judge my "wealth" is through the better chosen parts of my reference bookshelves, which in theory should surprise a casual observer.

However on religious grounds I remain relatively uncommitted on the basis that is more important to be ethical than to confirm to the often random seeming whims of dogma, to be bribed by a heaven or cowered by a hell. I also believe it is a mistake to try to describe other religions with Medieval, or Evangelical, Christian terms for religion is more complex, and richer, than the narrow creed that held back science through fear for centuries.

I'm an aspirant writer and a role of this blog is to try and purge my fictional writing of the need for it to be about me. To assist with this task this blog with be about my humble (at times) self.

With ethics naturally comes politics, with mine being left-of-centre with Official Monster Raving Loony Party sympathies. If a politician comes within my reach, where he is David Cameron or Jack Straw, he or she will generally be told off or encouraged, but more commonly told off ...

I work three days a week in a paid role and volunteer for the other two days in charity bookshop that I probably should not name directly here. If you can live a modest, affordable life and cycle or walk everywhere then such a lifestyle is survivable.

I shop very carefully for items, in part because of my former role as a mad inventor, in part because I'm seeking to eschew purchases of things at 20% VAT and in part because I've not actually got that much to spend at all. Therefore I usually window shop very carefully before I buy.

I'm also an artist, poet and photographer of sorts. I sold a poem to a pie manufacturer in 2010 but I've yet to see it applied to the quiches for which I was paid.

Anyway a key thing about a first post to a blog is whether is it is followed by second post. Only time will tell, I'm afraid, for I am renown, amongst the few people that know me, for my mortal failings.

No comments:

Post a Comment